Israeli forces shot and killed three Palestinians in three separate search and arrest operations in Jenin in the West Bank. On June 29, an Israeli undercover unit attacked the city of Jenin, sparking clashes with residents and exchanges of fire with armed Palestinians. A Palestinian was shot dead. According to the Israeli army, quoted by Israeli media, the man threw an explosive device at soldiers. Initial investigations by human rights organizations indicate that the man was not involved in any clashes. Two other Palestinians were arrested in the same operation. On July 3, an 18-year-old student died from injuries sustained the day before when Israeli forces fired live ammunition at him during a search and arrest operation in the village of Jaba’ (Jenin). . According to eyewitnesses, Israeli forces fired live ammunition at residents who threw stones at them. On July 6, Israeli forces pursued, shot and killed a 20-year-old man in another search and arrest operation in the same village. While Israeli forces reportedly said he was a wanted person, community members said he was a passerby who started running upon seeing soldiers, fearing for his safety. His body is still being held by the Israeli authorities. Since the start of the year, Israeli forces have shot and killed 29 Palestinians, including six children, in search and arrest operations across the West Bank; 19 of the victims were in Jenin governorate.
One Palestinian died, four others were injured and 21 were arrested as they tried to reach their work sites in Israel through informal openings in the West Bank barrier. On July 5, a 32-year-old Palestinian man died in unclear circumstances; according to the man’s family, he was beaten by Israeli forces as he attempted to enter Israel through a breach in the fence. According to Palestinian medical sources, his death was caused by heart failure. In five separate incidents, Israeli forces fired live ammunition at Palestinians attempting to enter Israel through informal openings in the barrier near Tulkarem, Jenin, Hebron and Qalqilya, injuring four and arresting 21 .
A total of 273 Palestinians, including 24 children, were injured by Israeli forces across the West Bank. Some 180 injuries were recorded near Beita and Beit Dajan (both in Nablus) and Kafr Qaddum (Qalqilya), during protests against settlement expansion. In the city of Nablus and the neighborhood of Silwan in East Jerusalem, 65 Palestinians were injured by Israeli forces after Israeli settlers entered Palestinian communities and a religious site (Joseph’s Tomb), accompanied by Israeli forces. Israelis. According to local Palestinian community sources, Israeli forces fired sound bombs and live ammunition into the air, causing clashes with local residents, who threw stones at Israeli forces. Nineteen other Palestinians were injured during seven search and arrest operations in Jenin, Jerusalem, Hebron and Tubas. Six other Palestinians, including five children, were injured in two separate incidents near a checkpoint between areas H1 and H2 of the city of Hebron and at an archaeological site in the city of Sabastiya (Nablus). On June 28, a Palestinian attempted to stab an Israeli policeman in the Old City of Jerusalem and fled. Israeli forces conducted a search and arrest operation in the Haram Al Sharif/Temple Mount compound, closing its entrances and preventing people from entering for about an hour. During the event, Israeli forces physically assaulted and injured three people and arrested a suspect. Of all Palestinian wounds, 13 were caused by live ammunition and 34 by rubber bullets; most of the others were treated for inhaling tear gas.
Israeli authorities demolished, confiscated or forced people to demolish 51 Palestinian-owned structures in East Jerusalem and Area C of the West Bank, citing the lack of building permits issued by Israel; four of the structures had been provided as part of donor-funded humanitarian assistance. As a result, 40 people, including 21 children, have been displaced and the livelihoods of approximately 500 others have been affected. Some 47 of the targeted structures were in Area C, including two structures in areas of southern Hebron that are designated as “firing zones” for military training and where Palestinian communities risk being forcibly transferred. On July 5, the Israeli authorities demolished a 200-meter-long concrete wall around a water source in a “nature reserve” in Douma (Nablus), for lack of a building permit; as a result, the water valve was destroyed and the water network damaged. This demolition directly affects access to water and the means of subsistence of at least 22 households, comprising 132 people. Four structures were demolished in East Jerusalem, including a house destroyed by its owners to avoid paying fines issued by Israeli authorities.
On four occasions, Israeli forces conducted military training exercises near the 13 Palestinian pastoral communities in Masafer Yatta, south Hebron. This area had been designated by the Israeli authorities as a “firing zone” and declared closed to Israeli military training. Recent military exercises have restricted Palestinian access to basic services and food sources, and put their security at risk. On July 7, the roof of a house was damaged by live ammunition while the family was inside. Live ammunition and explosions were reported on two other occasions. On May 4, the Israeli High Court of Justice approved the eviction of Palestinians living in Masafer Yatta, putting 1,144 people, including 569 children, at imminent risk of forcible transfer. On 23 June, the Humanitarian Coordinator have, called for an end to demolitions, military activities and other increasingly coercive measures, so that residents can stay in their homes in safety and dignity.
Israeli forces restricted the movement of Palestinians in several other locations in the West Bank. The forces closed the gate at the main entrance of Kifl Haris (Salfit); installed a new checkpoint at the entrance to Al Lubban ash Sharqiyah (Nablus); blocked by mounds of earth six roads that connect Huwwara (Nablus) to Route 60 and neighboring villages; and restricted access to agricultural roads at two locations in Halhul (Hebron) with two roadblocks. This has resulted in long detours, disrupting the access of approximately 20,000 Palestinians to livelihoods and services. These restrictions are said to be linked to Palestinian stone-throwing at the vehicles of nearby Israeli settlers.
Israeli settlers injured eleven Palestinians and persons known or believed to be Israeli settlers damaged Palestinian property in 15 cases. In five incidents in Turmus’ayya (Ramallah), Kafr al Labad and Shufa (Tulkarm), Qarawat Bani Hassan (Salfit) and Kisan (Bethlehem), Israeli settlers attacked Palestinian farmers while working on their land; the settlers used sticks, truncheons and metal bars and threw stones, injuring six Palestinians, including an elderly man. Five other Palestinians were injured by settlers in Silwan in East Jerusalem after settlers accompanied by Israeli forces entered the area (details mentioned above). In ten incidents, approximately 1,100 trees belonging to Palestinians were uprooted or vandalized near Israeli settlements near Deir Sharaf (Nablus), Beitillu and Turmusayya (both in Ramallah), Kafr ad Dik (Salfit), Halhul (Hebron ) and Husan (Bethlehem). Ten Palestinian-owned cars and a tractor were also vandalized, and stone-throwing was reported, causing damage to the homes and shops of two Palestinians. Four other incidents in Nablus and Ramallah included settlers breaking into a house and farmland, damaging a water facility and vandalizing cultivated crops and agricultural equipment. On July 6, six Palestinian-owned shops in the H2 closed military area in Hebron were demolished, apparently by Israeli settlers. Israeli authorities have not allowed Palestinian traders to use these businesses over the years, citing “the principle of separation”. Settlers currently use the site as an animal shelter.
People known or believed to be Palestinians injured 13 Israelis and damaged several Israeli vehicles, according to Israeli sources. Thirteen Israeli settlers were injured when stones were thrown at vehicles as they traveled on West Bank roads in the governorates of Hebron and Jerusalem. Vehicles registered in Israel were damaged by stones thrown at them in 22 other incidents.
On July 16, Palestinian armed groups in Gaza launched four rockets towards southern Israel; no injuries or damage were reported. Subsequently, the Israeli air force carried out several raids and fired 12 missiles at positions belonging to armed groups in Gaza City and the central area, injuring one civilian and damaging the targeted sites and seven civilian properties, including three houses. , a mosque, a gas station and two halls. on July 19, a Palestinian armed group opened fire in the direction of southern Israel, and material damage was reported. Subsequently, the Israeli Air Force fired three missiles at a Hamas observation point east of Beit Hanoun; no injuries but some damage was reported. Following the rocket attacks, the Israeli authorities suspended their decision to issue an additional 1,500 exit permits to Palestinian workers in Gaza.
Also in the Gaza Strip, on at least 32 occasions, Israeli forces opened warning shots near the Israeli perimeter fence or off the coast, presumably to enforce access restrictions, with no injuries nor damage. In two incidents, three Palestinians from Gaza, including a child, were arrested by Israeli forces, apparently as they attempted to enter Israel through the perimeter fence. On three occasions, Israeli forces razed land near the fence inside Gaza.
This report reflects information available at the time of publication. The most recent data and further breakdowns are available at ochaopt.org/data.